Are you thinking about how to treat your oily skin the right way? If yes, here are some tips to care for your oily skin.
Let's get started.
Oily skin is due to the overproduction of sebum produced by the sebaceous glands of the body. Sebum is an oily secretion by the body which moisturizes and protects the skin. Too much sebum gives rise to clogged pores and acne breakouts on your skin.
• Cleanse the right way:
Cleansing too often will not remove the excess oil from the face. It causes your skin to secrete more oil. It is more than enough to cleanse your face once in the morning and once at night, after excessive sweating. Go for an oil-free cleanser or homemade cleansers like Gram Flour and Rosewater so that it reduces acne breakouts.
• Toning and Moisturizing:
Break the myth saying that toning and moisturizing are not essential for oily skin. Whatever skin type it may be, you need to tone and moisturize your skin after cleansing.
Choose an alcohol-free toner so that it removes excess oil on your skin without disrupting the production of skin's natural oil. Homemade toners like Coldwater toner and Rosewater toner has skin tightening properties.
Since we are exposed to pollution and UV rays it damages the skin's moisture barrier. Loss of moisture leads to increased oil production. And that's why moisturizing is to be done. Go for a non-comedogenic / non-acnegenic moisturizer. As the type itself says, it does not clog pores or cause acne. Homemade moisturizers like Rosehip oil and Aloe Vera hydrates and keeps your skin moisturized.
It is necessary to have your skin exfoliated 2-3 times a week. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the skin's surface, prevents acne, improves skin texture and evens skin tone. Look for a chemical exfoliant containing BHA (beta-hydroxy acid) or physical exfoliators that are gentle on your skin. Homemade scrubs like Oatmeal Scrub,Tomato Scrub, Cucumber Scrub gives shine and glow and reduces building up of oil on your face. Apply the scrub on your face, leave it for about 5-10 minutes and rinse it off with cold water.
- Exfoliate your skin after cleansing. Then go with toning and moisturizing.
- Do not use both chemical and physical exfoliants together as it damages your skin barrier.
- Do not exfoliate more than 3 times a week as it causes redness and makes the skin sensitive.
• Facial Mask:
Facial masks hydrate the skin and remove excess oils and clean pores. Look for oil-absorbing facial masks as they absorb the excess oil. One of the best homemade face masks is Multani Mitti. Use it along with few drops of rosewater added to it. This mask helps to balance oily skin effectively.
Apply facial masks 2-3 times a week. Wear it for 10-15 minutes and remove it off.
- Apply a facial mask after toning.
- Do not cleanse your face after a face mask.
- Moisturize your skin after removing the facial mask.
• Foods and Drinks:
"You are what you eat". So eat healthy for healthy skin.
- Eat more leafy greens and fresh fruits.
- Avoid Dairy products, High sugar foods and Highly processed foods and alcohol worsens your skin health.
- Drink the right amount of water to balance the natural oils on the face and to slow down the production of excessive oil in the skin.
- Treat your skin by drinking fresh fruit and vegetable juices to get that glow.
- Green tea improves oily skin and acne by reducing sebum production.
Note: Make sure you do a patch test before applying any product on your skin.
What works for others might not work for your skin.
I hope these tips will help you.
Do check my previous post 'Skincare without products' for a detailed explanation of skincare .
Love your skin and take good care of it the right way.
Thanks for reading!